LASIK Specialist

The science behind eye care has grown by leaps and bounds in the modern era, and Eye Care One has the latest equipment and technology available. When paired with the high level of experience and skill of its optometrists, Eye Care One provides excellent LASIK services to patients in Augusta, Georgia, Beaufort, South Carolina and Aiken, South Carolina so they can have clear vision without the need for contact lenses or glasses for the rest of their lives.

LASIK Q & A

What is LASIK eye surgery?

LASIK eye surgery is a procedure performed with the aid of a special laser that helps doctors re-shape the clear front of your eye, the cornea, to better define its ability to focus. This surgery results in better vision and clarity with a low percentage of need for further corrective operations.

In fact, LASIK procedures are so successful that there’s only a 1-2% chance of needing another operation within the first 12 months, with that rate increasing by 1% each subsequent year. Thus, after 10 years, only 10% of all LASIK patients need to come back in for another round of corrective surgery. The other 90% enjoy permanently clear vision!

How is LASIK performed?

The LASIK procedure is similar to other forms of eye surgery, but there are specific details that set LASIK apart from other operations.

First, the doctor moistens your eye and uses a suction-like device to keep the cornea in a stationary position. Your cornea is then cut open using a special tool called a microkeratome blade or femtosecond laser. That portion of your cornea will stay attached at one end, looking like the page of an open book.

Then the doctor uses an excimer laser to reshape the soft corneal tissue. After they make the proper adjustments, they’ll return the flap of your cornea to its original position. This flap naturally re-adheres to the cornea, requiring no stitches or special adhesive.

Finally, a shield made of either clear plastic or metal is placed over your eye to protect the flap as it begins healing. This procedure takes about 10 minutes per eye.

Is LASIK eye surgery safe?

Like any invasive procedure, skill and experience play a huge role in the outcome, and the same applies here. Eye Care One is proud to feature two professionals with extensive LASIK experience and skill.

Dr. David Bogorad has over 20 years of experience in performing LASIK procedures. Having performed over 5000 procedures, he and his staff are fully capable of improving your sight safely and effectively. As a member of the American College of Surgeons, Dr. Bogorad proudly offers his services to the patients who rely on him to restore their vision.

Dr. Tracie Sponseller is co-owner of Eye Care One. She’s an assistant professor at Augusta, University and is certified by the International Association Board of Therapeutic Examiners in Optometry. She works hand in hand with other members of the staff, including Dr. Bogorad, in offering LASIK procedures to the facility's patients.

Is LASIK right for me?

LASIK may not be right for everyone, depending on your current state of health and other possible factors. You may not be a candidate for LASIK if you’re:

  • Under 18 years of age
  • Pregnant or nursing
  • Take drugs like Accutane or prednisone
  • Have diabetes, glaucoma, cataracts
  • History of dry eyes

If you are curious about LASIK, book an appointment at Eye Care One to see if you are right for LASIK.

Insurance

Eye Care One accepts the following insurances and many more. Please call our office to confirm that our office accepts your insurance.

BCBS
Blue Cross
Davis Vision
EyeMed
First Choice Health
March Vision Care
Medicaid
Medicare
Optum
Tricare Prime
UMR
VCP
VSP
Testimonials

Words from our patients

  • facebook

    "I had my corrective laser vision surgery done here in January and couldn't be happier. The staff was superb and kept me informed as to everything that was going on."

    Anita W.
  • facebook

    "Fantastic docs who allowed me to go to the beach without fussing over glasses. So glad we chose Eye Care One for lasik."

    Sarah C.
Our Locations

Choose your preferred location